Detailed ItineraryThis tour is an Experience Tour, Organized by our Local Cultural Experience Specialists.
In this one of a kind Tour where you will be viewing the most amazing Kerala Cultural Dance called "Kathalali", along with seeing them putting on the Dance Makeup.
Make–up time : 05.00 – 06.00 pm.
Programme time : 06.00 – 07.00 pm.
Meeting Point: No pickup. The destination is inside main Fort Kochi and will be shared after booking.
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - Make-up for Artists/Dancers
The makeup for Kathakali art/dance is in itself an elaborate process where the dancers put on a makeup from rice paste, wear a decorative headgear studded with red and green stones and wear colorful skirts and full sleeve tops. The entire make up process in itself takes around 45 minutes which is interesting to watch.
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM - Actual Programme/Dance
Kerala’s best-known art form, Kathakali is a unique blend of dance, drama, music, literature and also painting, where characters enact stories from Mahabharata and Ramayana using makeup, costumes and gestures.
This experience will have Demo as well as episode with Live Music
With this ticket you are also free to enter the Cultural Museum too which is open from 9AM to 5PM. The musem is a presentation of Kerala’s rich dance and cultural history in visual form.
Places Covered, Activities and their DetailsABOUT KATHAKALI:
Kerala’s best-known art form, Kathakali is a unique blend of dance, drama, music, literature and also painting. Elaborate makeup, resplendent costumes, and intricate gestures define the explosive beauty of this incredible art form.
Characters enact stories from the Mahabharata and Ramayana using makeup, costumes, and gestures.
The elaborate makeup or aharyam is of three distinct types; divine, demonic and worldly.
Characters in this dance drama are identified by four different costumes or veshams; Pacha, Kathi, Tadi and minukku. Pacha or green is donned by the gods and heroes, Kathi or knife is donned by the villains in the story piece. Tadi or beard is worn by characters displaying superhuman qualities and minukku or shine is usually used by women characters. The Chutti, a ridge-like mask made of limewater and rice paste adorns the face and a decorative headgear studded with red and green stones. Characters wear colorful skirts and full sleeve tops and the entire make up itself takes about 45 minutes.
Gestures are a major component in delineating a character. Gestures are of two types; Verbal or Vachika and artificial created for appearance sake.
Musicians closely follow the performer gesticulating and enacting the characters. The instruments used are folk-based like the drums (Madalam and Chenda), a gong (Chengila) and cymbals (Elathalam) and they provide the background music known as Thiranottam.
The cultural museum is a presentation of Kerala’s rich dance and cultural history in visual form. Each major dance form has its own space with a sculpted dancer with pointers showing each item of his/her intricate make up. A brief history of each dance form is also available.
One can also see a miniaturized Kerala Village representative of the pre 1930’s period, old artifacts and articles of daily use, original representations of the water wheel and different types of the farmers’ village hat made of Palmyra. Interestingly you would also find paintings dating back to the late 19th century in the museum. A large area of the museum showcases the dying arts like pottery making and handloom weaving.
Most interestingly, in the middle of the entire Museum is placed a Churlan Vallam, a traditional long country boat used for boat races.
Terms And Conditions1) Make sure you have updated the correct number and hotel name/address in your profile as this is the only way for the agents to contact you for pickup coordination in tours where it is applicable.
2) In case of Car Tours, you will get a call from the Tour Agent up to a day before your Tour, to coordinate the pickup. If you do not get a call, feel free to call up the person responsible. We will share the phone number once you have completed the booking.
3) In case of Bus Tours, Shared Tours and Food Tours there will be designated pickup points where you have to report. There won't be hotel pickups for these Tours unless otherwise stated.
4) Local Experience Tours are organized by Local Tour Experts rather than Travel Agents. We believe this is the best way to take the most out of a City Experience.
5) If you have opted for a shared Car/Van tour, then congrats, you will be traveling along with other awesome people like you who wish to meet new people while traveling. Please respect the time of the other travelers and be at the pickup place or hotel on time.
6) If you fail to report at the designated time/place within ½ hour of the designated time, we are obligated to move to the next pickup point.
7) In case of any questions with regards to your trip or any feedback feel free to mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are always ready to help you and take your feedback and act upon it.
Refund PolicyOneStepTraveller Charges:
48 hrs - 0 Hrs - 10% Cancellation Fees
>48 hrs - 5% Cancellation Fees
Partner Cancellation Charges:
Apart from the above, in case our Travel Partners Charge any cancellation amount, it would be deducted from the total Refund amount.