Detailed ItineraryThis tour is an Experience Tour, Organized by our Local Kerala Cultural Experience Specialists.
In this one of a kind Tour where you will be viewing the most amazing Kerala’s traditional martial art and perhaps the oldest of its kind in the world called Kalaripayattu.
Timing: 4:00 PM to 5:500 pm
Meeting Point: No pickup. The destination is inside main Fort Kochi and will be shared after booking.
4:00 PM - 5:00 PM - Kalaripayattu Show
This will be an amazing 1 hour show of Traditional Kerala's martial arts display called Kalaripayyattu which is considered one of the oldest kind of this dance forms in Kerala and inspired a lot of other dances too from this martial arts. This would be a must see thing on your visit to Kochi, Kerala.
With this ticket you are also free to enter the Cultural Museum too which is open from 9AM to 5PM. The musem is a presentation of Kerala’s rich dance and cultural history in visual form.
Places Covered, Activities and their DetailsABOUT KALARIPAYATTU:
Kalaripayyatu is Kerala’s traditional martial art and perhaps the oldest of its kind in the world. Today its influence has gone beyond the sphere of traditional martial art and is considered to be the founding body for many later dance forms like Kolkalli, Parichamuttukali, Mudiyettu, Theyyam, and Chavittunatakam.
With a history that goes back to the 12th century, every village then had its Kalari or training centre and under the eyes of a disciplined master, boys and girls practised (payattu) to become expert fighters. The major communities that trained in this lethal martial art were the land keepers for the kings; the Nairs, Ezhavas and a few Cattar Brahmins, though Sufi Muslims and Christians also practised this art. They were trained to handle duels to settle legal disputes for the kings.
Training usually is done in a sanctified `Kalari’, an earthen floor or a walled pit dug out of the ground covered by a thatched palm-leaf roof. Training begins with a formal ritual of initiation. Students apply sesame oil to their bodies to render the body flexible before they start their exercises. Animal poses, leg exercises, kicks, circling of the body are performed in increasingly complex and gymnastic combinations on the kalari floor, most important being the training in animal poses.
Students are eventually introduced to combat and are taught to weild a variety of weapons; long staff, short stick, curved sticks, dagger, sword and shield, spear, mace and a flexible sword. Once the mastery of all the levels is complete, each Master is trained to learn physical / massage therapies to treat various injuries such as common bruises, muscular conditions and setting broken bones. These therapies are based on the traditional Ayurveda system of rejuvenation and wellness.
The cultural museum is a presentation of Kerala’s rich dance and cultural history in visual form. Each major dance form has its own space with a sculpted dancer with pointers showing each item of his/her intricate make up. A brief history of each dance form is also available.
One can also see a miniaturized Kerala Village representative of the pre 1930’s period, old artifacts and articles of daily use, original representations of the water wheel and different types of the farmers’ village hat made of Palmyra. Interestingly you would also find paintings dating back to the late 19th century in the museum. A large area of the museum showcases the dying arts like pottery making and handloom weaving.
Most interestingly, in the middle of the entire Museum is placed a Churlan Vallam, a traditional long country boat used for boat races.
Terms And Conditions1) Make sure you have updated the correct number and hotel name/address in your profile as this is the only way for the agents to contact you for pickup coordination in tours where it is applicable.
2) In case of Car Tours, you will get a call from the Tour Agent up to a day before your Tour, to coordinate the pickup. If you do not get a call, feel free to call up the person responsible. We will share the phone number once you have completed the booking.
3) In case of Bus Tours, Shared Tours and Food Tours there will be designated pickup points where you have to report. There won't be hotel pickups for these Tours unless otherwise stated.
4) Local Experience Tours are organized by Local Tour Experts rather than Travel Agents. We believe this is the best way to take the most out of a City Experience.
5) If you have opted for a shared Car/Van tour, then congrats, you will be traveling along with other awesome people like you who wish to meet new people while traveling. Please respect the time of the other travelers and be at the pickup place or hotel on time.
6) If you fail to report at the designated time/place within ½ hour of the designated time, we are obligated to move to the next pickup point.
7) In case of any questions with regards to your trip or any feedback feel free to mail us at email@example.com. We are always ready to help you and take your feedback and act upon it.
Refund PolicyOneStepTraveller Charges:
48 hrs - 0 Hrs - 10% Cancellation Fees
>48 hrs - 5% Cancellation Fees
Partner Cancellation Charges:
Apart from the above, in case our Travel Partners Charge any cancellation amount, it would be deducted from the total Refund amount.